This two-part course is the second half of our HEC-RAS Webinar Series. The first half is Avoid Costly Mistakes Using HEC-RAS: Geometric Misrepresentations & Understanding Computations. Save 15% and earn 4 PDH / 0.4 CEU with our full-series bundle!
HEC-RAS is a rather complicated 1-D and 2-D hydraulics program that can be easily put together but also easily—and unknowingly—misused. The most common mistakes we see are related to bridge modeling.
Join Stormwater University for this educational, two-part webinar as prolific speaker Dr. David T. Williams (who has taught HEC-RAS and bridge hydraulics to the Federal Highway Administration as well as state and local departments of transportation) presents examples of common geometric mistakes and misunderstandings of bridge parameters using HEC-RAS that could have potentially significant effects on a bridge project’s hydraulic results. Programming Note: Since most HEC-RAS models are still performed in 1-D, this course will concentrate on only 1-D applications.
Part I will discuss 1-D geometric misrepresentations and the proper placement of cross sections within an HEC-RAS model to properly simulate the hydraulic effects of a bridge. Part II will detail how some of the input parameters should be determined and where within the 1-D model they should be placed.
Course material will be based upon Dr. Williams’ review of submitted models, his discussions with experienced users, his blogs on hydraulic and bridge modeling topics, and his HEC-RAS Steady and Unsteady course lecture notes.
Part I Learning Objectives:
- Learn the types of flow through bridges
- Understand bridge terminology and relation to HEC-RAS
- Recognize the reason for initial placement of the four cross sections to model a bridge
- Determine initial expansion and contraction coefficients
- Know the proper placement and elevations of ineffective flow areas
- Understand types of flow computations in HEC-RAS
- Learn the step-by-step creation of a bridge model in HEC-RAS
Part II Learning Objectives:
- Know refinement of expansion and contraction coefficients
- Determine weir coefficients and submergence corrections
- Understand placement refinement of the four cross sections to model a bridge
- Understand the details of the various bridge hydraulic methods in HEC-RAS and when to use them
- Learn how to check for flow consistency of a bridge model
Train Your Team
Get the whole team trained! We offer additional savings if you register as a group. For group pricing information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Presentations are scheduled for approximately one hour with a 15-20 minute question and answer session to follow. Presentations may exceed scheduled time.
* Each state and certification agency have different requirements; it is your responsibility to know what they are. Note that 1 PDH = 0.1 CEU.
* Purchase of this course allows you access to the presentation(s) for 6 months from the order date.