This two-part course is the first half of our HEC-RAS Webinar Series. The second half is Bridge Modeling Using HEC-RAS: Building the Model & Modeling Guidelines. Save 15% and earn 4 PDH / 0.4 CEU with our full-series bundle!
HEC-RAS is a rather complicated 1-D and 2-D hydraulics program that can be easily put together but also easily—and unknowingly—misused.
Join Stormwater University for this educational, two-part webinar as prolific speaker Dr. David T. Williams (a former HEC staffer and expert HEC-RAS user) presents examples of subtle misuses of HEC-RAS that could have potentially significant effects on a project’s hydraulic results. Programming Note: Since most HEC-RAS models are still performed in 1-D, this course will concentrate on only 1-D applications.
Part I will discuss geometric misrepresentations and misconceptions about how HEC-RAS performs its 1-D computations on the geometric layout. Part II will detail how HEC-RAS performs its 1-D computations and how to properly configure HEC-RAS to simulate real-world phenomena.
Course material will be based upon Dr. Williams’ review of submitted models, his discussions with experienced users, his blogs on hydraulic modeling topics, and his HEC-RAS Steady and Unsteady course lecture notes. Each example will be presented as if a reviewer was examining a submitted HEC-RAS model.Part I Learning Objectives:
- Learn how to avoid the subtle mistakes presented
- Understand the thought process going from existing to project conditions
- Appreciate the use of graphics for reviewing HEC-RAS models
- Recognize the symptoms of a faulty HEC-RAS model
- Determine what is and is not “allowed” in HEC-RAS modeling
Part II Learning Objectives:
- Learn how HEC-RAS does its computations for various hydraulic conditions
- Determine what options to invoke for each type of hydraulic phenomena
- Know the relative magnitude of error that is generated going from one option to another
- Understand the proper sequence for reviewing HEC-RAS models
- Appreciate how project limits, model limits, and study limits are different
Train Your Team
Get the whole team trained! We offer additional savings if you register as a group. For group pricing information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Presentations are scheduled for approximately one hour with a 15-20 minute question and answer session to follow. Presentations may exceed scheduled time.
* Each state and certification agency have different requirements; it is your responsibility to know what they are. Note that 1 PDH = 0.1 CEU.
* Purchase of this course allows you access to the presentation(s) for 6 months from the order date.