Everyone knows that a 100-year flood is a really big flood. But not all big floods are 100-year floods, and a 100-year flood is not necessarily the same as a 100-year storm. So…how can you ensure your floodplain structures are designed to handle any flood nature may have in store?
Join us as prolific speaker Doug Beyerlein (P.E., P.H., D.WRE) for this live, educational webinar as we examine the different flood frequency methods available to an engineer, the key assumptions contained in each method, and how to select the appropriate method for the job at hand. We’ll also discuss situations where flood frequency is not the appropriate design parameter and what flow-related method should be used instead.
Specifically, we’ll discuss how engineers use flood frequency as a design standard in sizing many, if not most, structures within a floodplain—ranging from designing culverts and bridges, to determining roadway and building elevations, to sizing flood control structures. Calculating a flood frequency value is not difficult, but selecting the appropriate flood frequency method to calculate the frequency flow value can be.
Attendees can expect the discussion and education of the following learning objectives.
- Understand why flood frequency is not the same as storm frequency.
- Explore the different methods for calculating flood frequency.
- Analyze the key assumptions built into each flood frequency method.
- Learn the regional hydrologic characteristics that are important in flood frequency method selection.
- Determine when flood frequency is not the appropriate design parameter.
Train Your Team
Get the whole team trained! We offer additional savings if you register as a group. For group pricing information, contact us at email@example.com
* Presentations are scheduled for approximately one hour with a 15-20 minute question and answer session to follow. Presentations may exceed scheduled time. * Each state and certification agency have different requirements; it is your responsibility to know what they are. Note that 1 PDH = 0.1 CEU. * Purchase of this course allows you access to the presentation(s) for 6 months from the order date.