HEC-RAS is a rather complicated 1-D and 2-D hydraulics program that can be easily put together but also easily—and unknowingly—misused. The most common hydraulic structures modeled are related to culvert modeling.
Join Stormwater University for this educational, two-part webinar as prolific speaker Dr. David T. Williams (who has taught HEC-RAS and bridge and culvert hydraulics to the Federal Highway Administration as well as state and local departments of transportation) presents examples of common geometric mistakes and misunderstandings of culvert parameters using HEC-RAS that could have potentially significant effects on a culvert project’s hydraulic results. Programming Note: Since most HEC-RAS models are still performed in 1-D, this course will concentrate on only 1-D culvert applications.
Part I will discuss common 1-D geometric misrepresentations, the proper placement of cross sections within an HEC-RAS model, and initial coefficients to use to properly simulate the hydraulic effects of a culvert. Part II will detail how some of the input parameters should be refined, where within the 1-D model they should be placed, and a step-by-step creation of an HEC-RAS culvert model with a real culvert.
Course material will be based upon Dr. Williams’ review of submitted models, his discussions with experienced users, his blogs on hydraulic and culvert modeling topics, and his HEC-RAS Steady and Unsteady course lecture notes.
More HEC content from Dr. Williams: The HEC-RAS Webinar Series, which consists of Avoid Costly Mistakes Using HEC-RAS: Geometric Misrepresentations & Understanding Computations and Bridge Modeling Using HEC-RAS: Building the Model & Modeling Guidelines in a 15% off, 4 PDH / 0.4 CEU savings bundle.
Part I Learning Objectives:
- Learn the types of flow through culverts
- Understand common culvert terminology and relation to HEC-RAS
- Recognize the reason for initial placement of the four cross sections to model a culvert
- Determine initial expansion and contraction coefficients
- Know the proper placement and elevations of ineffective flow areas
- Understand culvert flow computations in HEC-RAS
Part II Learning Objectives:
- Know refinement of expansion and contraction coefficients
- Determine weir coefficients
- Understand placement refinement of the four cross sections to model a culvert
- Understand the details of a culvert that are required inputs to HEC-RAS
- Learn the step-by-step creation of a culvert model in HEC-RAS
- Learn how to check for flow consistency of a culvert model
Train Your Team
Get the whole team trained! We offer additional savings if you register as a group. For group pricing information, contact us at email@example.com.
* Presentations are scheduled for approximately one hour with a 15-20 minute question and answer session to follow. Presentations may exceed scheduled time.
* Each state and certification agency have different requirements; it is your responsibility to know what they are. Note that 1 PDH = 0.1 CEU.
* Purchase of this course allows you access to the presentation(s) for 6 months from the order date.